We've become those people. The one's that dress up their dog for Halloween. Emmett allows it...to a point. He hates things on his head and if it's fluffy like a stuffed toy, he will be forced to try to eat it.
This year I decided to be bold and try to make his costume. This was going to be quite the feat seeing as I only know how to sew a straight line and haven't a clue how to cut out a pattern. Lets just say lots of guessing and winging it happened last night. I was taking pictures of the process and got so caught up in it that I stopped snapping pictures half way through, but I still want to share it with you. Oh, and you'll just have to wait until the end to see what Emmett is going as!
I ran to our local Joann for fleece because they were having a 50% off on what I'll call their "lower" grade fleece.
I then cheated hard core by using a doggie coat that we already had as a template.
Cause I was less than prepared, I used a Sharpie to draw the outline.
After tracing I ended up with this.
I ended up with this. Which I folded in half long ways to try to even out all of the edges with some trimming.
I then attached some more fabric that would become the belly straps.
I then got distracted with the sewing, so this is where the "directions" stop. Pretty much I sewed on the belly straps and cut two different sized squares out of the other two fabrics. Those squares were sewn one on top of the other and then sewn onto the back of the main piece. Then I hand sewed on some other fleece pieces. After all of that sewing was done, I added on iron on Velcro to both the belly straps and the neck/chest straps.
When all was said and done we had something that looks a little like this...
Yep...the geekiness came out and I couldn't be happier! My first and probably one of my only sewing projects actually turned out well and actually looks like what I wanted it to. Part of me wants to go out and get colored felt to make Teris blocks, so that you can play Tetris on Emmett's back.
I doubt he'd be amused.